These are some of our favorite places to visit from Casa La Rocca:
- Calascio and Rocca Calascio – simply the best castle and view in Abruzzo
- Campo Imperatore – a high mountain plateau – wild, vast, magnificent
- Sulmona – the beautiful town just down the road and centre of the valley – cycle in on market day!
- Corno Grande – take the cable car to help you on your way to the highest point in Italy outside of the Alps
- Passo San Leonardo – the high point of the mountain road across the Maiella
- Pettorano Sul Gizio – our ancient and quite delightful hill top commune – take an hour and a half and walk up
- Lago Barrea and Lago Scanno – both cool swims with wonderful views in the Abruzzo National Park
- Pescara – the authentic Italian beach experience and big town shopping – why not take the train?
- Roccaraso – the main ski resort of the Appenines, Lots of runs for everyone and 25 minutes away
- Pescocostanzo – a suprisingly unusual village with a wonderful architecture
- Anversa degli Abruzzi and Castrovalva – enchanting twin villages in the Sagittario gorge – do the walk between the two
- The Fara San Martino Gorge – an adventurous exploration on the edge of the Maiella – a squeeze to get in!
- Passo di Godi – small scale, cheap and friendly family skiing in a lovely spot – downhill, cross-country or tubing!
There are many local village festas throughout the summer months and, at the end of July, the international jousting festival takes place over two weeks in Sulmona – a colourful and spectacular nightime pageant. And, whilst in Sulmona, browse the many shops offering the town’s speciality – brightly coloured displays of sugared almonds, the original confetti.
Two hamlets very close by, Vallelarga and Cavate, hold their festas on consecutive weekends in late July. The balconies at Casa La Rocca offer a grandstand view of the closimg fireworks!